Monday, March 30, 2015

40 in 40 2015 week 6

I have to say I have been really inspired by the completed hats that have been posted on the Facebook event page!  You are some seriously talented fans!  It was so neat to see that this challenge has benefited people all over the world, including Nova Scotia!

I can't believe there is only one week left.  While I look forward to being able to create in a more relaxed atmosphere, and to tackle some bigger projects, I have to say that I really love the intentional aspect of this challenge each year.  Praying over each item and knowing that I have been able to use the gifts God has given me to help someone else makes this period of Lent really meaningful to me - even when it gets hard to get it all done.

That being said, let me share with you my projects from this past week:

First up is the Aimee Baby Hat.  This is the second time I have made this hat.  The first I used Simply Soft yarn.  This time I used Bernat Baby Sport, a thinner yarn.  Both times the hat turned out to big for a newborn, despite the pattern saying it is sized for newborn to 3 months.  I love the heart pattern that goes completely around the babies head, but I definitely need to spend some time fiddling with my yarn and needles to make it smaller.  14 inches is to big for a newborn.





Next was the Divine hat.  This is available in preemie, newborn and adult sizes - all in the same pattern.  The ridges gently twirl around the babies scalp to come together at the crown.  A quick hat to crochet with beautiful results!












This is the Dania Beanie, available in newborn to toddler sizes.  I admit I am a sucker for the hats with bows!  I would recommend making the starting chain for the bow smaller, as you can see it dwarfs the hat.  Another super simple and quick crochet project.













  My 4th hat for the week is the Sideways Shell Baby hat.  Another quick crochet project.  The designer based the pattern on a Project Linus blanket pattern.  Wouldn't it be cute to make a matched set?














 And then I got on a knit leaves kick!  First up is the Baby Leaves II, which worked up a bit short for me.  So I continued the leaf pattern until after the first decrease on the leaf before beginning the ribbing.  I think I should have used a thicker yarn so that the leaves stood out a bit more.  Since I wasn't completely happy with this one, I tried a different pattern.








This one is the Embossed leaves pattern.  Instructions are given for baby to extra-large adult sizes.  I have to say I was much more satisfied with the way this one turned out.













So that is it for this week.  Only 6 hats to go before this year's challenge is over

Until next time,